TMRO inspiring Space

Very sorry for the too-long post. I know I shouldn’t blast out something this long un-provoked. Oh well…

How can TMRO help inspire Space? How can TMRO get the regular human to touch, and use Space? Below is an un-organized list of ideas from my personal Evernote that I add-to as a thought comes to my mind. Today I decided to post it. First, let me apologize; I totally realize this is unsolicited, rather presumptuous on my part and possibly not well-thought-out, but here it is for refinement, addition, discussion and criticism.

How can TMRO help inspire Space:

Amateur Radio with CubeSats. Can you tell I am biased? 2018 has seen a wealth of TMRO episodes that include talk of CubeSats (nano- pico- small-). There is a trend going on here. Find a good way to leverage this trend to get the regular human more aware of CubeSats (specifically the numerous Amateur Radio CubeSats come to mind). Anyone can listen (even listen-only can inspire). To transmit requires a license (do it). Why? Talk about a tangible, meaningful way that regular humans stuck on the surface of Earth can touch and use something in space! Doing this also re-wires your brain cells to be much more aware of space.

Launch Rockets. I have launched model rockets with unfortunate insects onboard who (insert downcast eyes here) paid the ultimate price in the quest to extend my personal knowledge. But I know others with aerodynamic hair have done much more with larger rockets. TMRO could periodically re-demonstrate (and reinforce) that regular people can do things like this (emphasizing safety of course). A possibly great way to inspire. When is Jared going out next? A TMRO Rocket-Pod?

Get the current ISS position on your Phone. For example: I use the very handy iPhone app called ISS Spotter. Why? At a moment notice, when out at night with colleagues or friends, I can show them the mysterious moving light in the sky that is ISS. Talk about an easy way to get people to "look up" in life instead of "looking down". People continue to be quite surprised that I can point them to where the ISS will appear (Hey Freda! How did you know that was there? Wow!).

Increase the size of the TMRO circle. Actively seek out humans in currently-emerging space-power countries (India, UAE, etc) as official TMRO Contributors, Guests and Citizens (for some reason I don’t consider Japan and others as “emerging” space powers since they seem more stable and in-production, but yes, cast your net out to others too and reel them into your grasp). Why? A bigger circle results in more paying citizens, a more relevant and appropriate global view, cross-culture strength, more opportunities for global contributions to TMRO, and overall more relevant TMRO content for consumption by all.

Push awareness of topical Space conferences. Many TMRO citizens (globally) might attend local space conferences if only they knew about them before the event. I know there are many-many-many other sources of this kind of info, but it might be possible for TMRO to summarize and publish (or at least point to an existing source of them) so citizens could be more aware and plan to attend a nearby one. Why? Ooops, I just missed that Space Conference that was only 20 miles away from me… if only I had known.

Steward the TMRO library as a company asset. A separate document of a list of previous shows is probably not useful. Instead of a separate, hard-to-find, unwieldy static document, just imagine the benefit if the TMRO Library was a menu directly on tmro.tv with appropriate metadata and filters. A great ongoing asset for TMRO, requiring maintenance only to add a new show/pod/episode. Why? This would inspire all humans to be aware of and to consume (and re-consume) the wealth of work (11 orbits!) that TMRO has already created.

The TMRO Store. Instead of a citizen buying a personal item, perhaps include items in the TMRO Store that would be paid for by the citizen, yet in-turn donated by TMRO to a youth or school or organization, maybe even donated in the name of the purchaser citizen. All with a targeted Space-theme; A subscription to something, a space-related model or kit to build, a DVD (not geo-locked, so it can be played anywhere) collection of space things, group attendance at a space conference or planetarium, my mind is going blank.

Add a Community Forum section dedicated to posting and sharing "Success Stories" of citizens inspiring Space to other individuals or groups. In each show, pick one Success Story to recognize or spotlight. Inspire your citizens to inspire.

I know this one will be difficult, but. De-focus from SoCal in favor of the world (I realize SoCal is logistically convenient, but). Extend the TMRO circle of regular and periodic staff to targeted space-relevant locations around the world (Europe, Russia, India, NZ, Japan, etc, etc). This would be a key, strategic, market differentiator for TMRO, as few if no other Space show does this. Be more global, and only positive outcomes will result. Start small today, get comfortable and ramp up as the global seed begins to sprout.

The TMRO Foundation. I am very sure that TMRO funds are limited, and I am certainly not one to suggest how TMRO should spend its money. But just imagine the meaningful legacy benefit if TMRO could (or sponsor a Citizen somewhere on Earth to) go to a disadvantaged country/community/club/school and give a presentation about space, build a space-model with students, arrange to talk to ISS, be included in a live TMRO show or some other spark-igniter like that. Why? Hey Pooja, when did you first become inspired by space? Pooja: When TMRO came to my school and a funny person called SpaceMike said something about space, and I started to “look up”. Aside: I know there are a zillion commercial, pre-packaged, flashy sources out there titled something like “Inspire students through Space”. I’m not thinking of something like that, but I honestly can not seem to articulate my idea well.

Related ideas: Hey, any idea who this guy is? :smiley:

And… as mentioned in this linked (dated) clip, "The open road softly calls…", "the craving we can hardly articulate or understand…", "to undiscovered lands…". Find best ways to leverage or build upon the quite inspiring, compelling story presented by this clip: YouTube Yes, the current TMRO Intro clip is also inspiring in a different way. My suggestion for leveraging the feeling behind this inspiring clip does not seem to be congealing for some reason, and is still swirling un-formed in my head. Any ideas? This clip is the most transformative on this topic I have ever seen. Where is Carl Sagan when we need him most :grinning:.

The things TMRO does can (and already do!) make a meaningful, inspiring difference. No other space-show or space-resource I know of is so well-positioned; on the cusp. I truly don’t know the best path forward, but I do know that this could be a valuable topic for the TMRO Community to talk about. So here goes. I promise shorter posts in future.

Oh… just replace "space" with "science" and everything above still seems relevant.

What are your suggestions on how TMRO can help inspire Space? Click "Reply" now.

3 Likes

Good examples of inspiring topics discussed by the guest today 2018-12-08.

• Board games.
  • Science and Art.
  • Education.
  • And more!

Success stories.

1 Like

Inspired to Launch Rockets. Interesting details.

3 Likes

Create an educational portal with links to short youtube videos explaining key space concepts (I’m thinking something like John Green’s “Crash Course” series). You could link to these during the post show edit. The videos would be something to help lay people get over common misconceptions handed down by Hollywood, for example: spaceships that burn towards a planet in order to deorbit (they should burn retrograde) or asteroid belts being so choked with rocks that you can’t fly through them (in reality you can’t see the next closest asteroid).

The videos wouldn’t even need to be produced, Scott Manley’s got lots of good ones for example. What needs to be created is a system to link them all together and an easy to use interface for accessing them.

3 Likes

so what you mean is a webpage that lists informative videos? sounds good

Basically yes, but maybe with a khan academy style breakdown of the playlists on relevant subjects. My vision is that each playlist would point to a short, high quality video fished from youtube (or perhaps even made by TMRO).

Alternatively, some kind of indexing video presentation could be used: I’m imagining Space Mike (or a subject relevant host) as the presenter, who, over the course of maybe 5 minutes, flashes on-screen links leading to the subject-matter videos along with a quick verbal description of why the video would be good to watch. Basically, it’s sort of like a space pod video that’s in the process of giving birth.

Here’s some category Ideas to start things off (by no means exhaustive):

Spacecraft:

• Soyuz
  • Space Shuttle
  • Falcon 9
  • Delta

Space Engine Types:

• Reaction Engines
  • Gas Ion Engines (a decent intro video by Fraser Cain, fails to explain weaknesses: i.e. low thrust)
  • Solid Ion Engines (a wonderful interview by Paddy Neumann via TMRO… just a bit long; or there’s these videos one and two by Neumann himself)
  • Vasmir
  • Nuclear Thermal Rockets (an excellent intro by Curious Droid, however he mistakenly says “thrust” when he means “efficiency” at 3:09… the thrust is, in fact, much lower when exhausting lighter atoms)
  • Microwave Thermal Rockets (a somewhat stilted overview by Michael Kelzenberg via TEDx Talks)
  • Solar Thermal Rocket (poor quality videos one and two, image here from Transastra)
  • Solar Sails (a decent video by Fraser Cain, could be improved with graphics)

Orbital Mechanics:

• Keplerian Elements
  • Oberth Effect
  • Hohmann Transfers
  • Sun-synchronous Orbits (a good video by Scott Manley)
  • Lagrange Points (an almost perfect video by It’s Just Astronomical!)

Interplanetary Mission Ideas:

• Aldrin Cyclers (a kind of campy video by Purdue students, could use better graphics and presentation)
  • Mars Direct
  • Venus Cloud City

Transfer Orbits:

• Hohmann Transfer
  • Free Return Trajectories
  • Weak Stability

Reaction Control Systems:

• Monopropellant Thrusters
  • Reaction Wheels
  • Reaction Spheres (an awesome interview by @VAXHeadroom via TMRO,… a bit long, could stand to be compressed into a pod)

Power Generation ( a decent overview by Fraser Cain):

Lifesupport:

• Pressure
  • Air Composition
  • Hypoxia (a perfect demonstration from Smarter Every Day)
  • Hypercarbia
  • Lithium Hydroxide Carbondioxide Scrubbers
  • Bioregenerative Lifesupport Systems

Planetary Bodies:

• Inner Rocky Bodies: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Ceres, Vesta, Pallas, & other Asteroids
  • Outer Gaseous Bodies: Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, Uranus
  • Outer Icy Bodies: Pluto, Charon, Haumea, Makemake
  • Interesting Moons: Titan, Enceladus, Io, Ganymede

Asteroids:

Planetary Physics:

• Tidal Locking & Changes in Planetary Spin
  • Moon-Planet Tidal Vulcanism
  • Moon-Ring Interactions
  • Orbital Resonance

Future Concepts:

I could go on… Don’t think you’ve got a monopoly on long posts @Freda :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I LOVE THIS LIST! I’m thinking a good place to centralize this would be the TMRO Google Drive. Give access to people like yourself and @Freda who want to contribute. We could create a document of links separated by topic with relevant pdf’s, pics, video, articles, etc. and then myself, the TMRO hosts, and the community could expand topics and create “scripts” for them in an easily digestible 5-10 minute video. It would be great content for SpacePods, which we’ve discussed bringing back in highly produced format, but I blame myself for not getting the ball rolling on new SpacePods.

What do you think @GLTCprincess should we experiment with community-driven content on the Drive?

@SpaceMike I’ll keep an eye out for already made videos to attach to each subject and look for areas that need original content. Also, if you do get a document started I can easily expound on this list, as well as improve the organization by adding sub categories (the planetary bodies for example can be broken down a lot).

My personal favorite area is life support technologies and mission design concepts (along with all the supporting knowledge these areas require).

Just let me know if you decide to go ahead with this.

A wiki seems the best for these kinds of things…

1 Like

I’m not sure how that would work with video content. A lot of folk have an aversion to walls of text. A well organized visual/animated format whose length is predictable is a lot more compelling especially for neophytes who aren’t already really interested in a subject.

@Faulx Fellow eve player :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah, I agree. While Wiki’s are decent at categorizing stuff, they aren’t good at navigating that content outside of search. Need a website that can easily handle a customizable structure that can convey that hierarchy without needing much manual intervention so that it’s easy for everyone: those posting content and those consuming it.

o/
Yep, guilty as charged.

It inspired me to do some citizen science

https://www.zooniverse.org/collections/roger-c/favorites-mschwamb-planet-four-ridges

https://www.zooniverse.org/collections/roger-c/favorites-mschwamb-planet-four-terrains

https://www.zooniverse.org/collections/roger-c/favorites-wkiri-cosmic

https://www.zooniverse.org/collections/roger-c/favorites-zooniverse-astronomy-rewind

Inspiring Space: showing someone why I need to adjust the frequency of my receiver as that Amateur Radio satellite goes by. Yep… Doppler-shift due to that thing zipping by in space.

1 Like

Inspiring Space: Braving the 9 degF (-13 degC) night to show my neighbor that bright thing flying across the sky (the ISS).

1 Like
1 Like

A TMROwiki would be great.

1 Like

Great list @Faulx. I would like to add another category, Mega Structures. Mega Structures is from an Issac Arthur video about space colonies. I would use the best space manifesto, The High Frontier by Gerard K. O’Neil as the primary source.

@JohnnySpacer I have added a section for “Future Concepts” that includes these ideas.

1 Like

A regular person can “touch” space. I myself just yesterday and today received data directly from the ISS as it passed overhead, using just a $25 USD Baofeng handheld with a small Yagi antenna (I have a Amateur Radio license, but receive-only does not require a license). Then I just held the radio near my android phone which was running a SSTV decoder app called Robot36 so it could hear the audio being received. Of course I had to know the timing of the pass, where to continuously point the antenna and the transmission frequency (adjusted a bit for Doppler shift as ISS zipped by at orbital speed).

Along with other Amateur Radio formats, ISS routinely sends SSTV images of notable or historic things.

The two images I received are below. Each required about 5 minutes to receive, and both start to fade as ISS gets near to going beyond the horizon.

Below image received 2019-02-16 (my very first ever attempt at doing SSTV !!!) :grinning:

Below image received 2019-02-17 (today)

A fun way to inspire space in other regular humans.

There are many many numerous references available, such as:

3 Likes