Timing bar on the bottom of the screen

Transitioning from a YouTube comment here. Idea is to burn a graphic on the bottom of the archived video which will have different color codes for each segment. Then you can simply move the play head to that area to jump straight to that part.

Advantage is that this technique should work on most on-demand players too. Disadvantage is that it may delay the release of the show a bit as we now need to get all timing data done while in the edit process and not after upload.

I think it is an interesting idea. Always wanted to make something like that work with a certain rocket company but was never able to execute. Would anyone get value from something like this, or do e prefer the work going in to rapid publishing over this instead?

My thought: Perhaps marginally convenient, but not in any way a priority. You probably don’t want to add effort on your part, just to make it easier for your audience to skip big portions of your delivery. :smile: I like it how it is.

why not just put a “graphic” while live so you don’t need to do any timing.

A lot of “News” type shows have a “banner” at the bottom showing what the topic is. You could “enhance” that by color coding your “Banner” to indicate which section it is. So no extra work post processing.

We could automate this in Caspar, right @Bencredible? Coming back from break it could bring up the correct lower third for that segment?

Although I’m not sure what value this adds when you can usually tell which segment we are in by the set/layout/number of people present.

Perhaps a better idea is to pin a comment at the top which outlines the timings of each segment. You wouldn’t have to action it until the upload is complete so no need to change your edit process. Community members usually post them on our videos anyway (if you’re looking for an example of what I mean)

So just for a visual reference… here’s a quick mock up of what this could look like. There could be more section breaks, the colors could be different, the font can change, the font color can change, the height can change (it’s probably about 9 pixels as seen here), and the sections can be made into embossed textures to match the show’s title banner (or any other texture shape you might enjoy).

I don’t think of this so much as allowing people to “skip” sections of the show, so much as allowing them to quickly navigate to that for which they are looking (handy, for instance, when showing a friend something cool about the show).