Model making: Here's what I've been making. Share yours

Since people have been posting all kinds of stuff that they have been making, not just models:
Here’s a backlit pedestal I designed for my piece of the Fukang Pallasite.

For size: The Meteorite slab is about 5.3 x 9.5 centimeters (about 2.00 x 3.75 inches)

nice.

Yeah a general making all the things thread is what I want… I just started with the model I was making at the time.

is it a bunch of slices placed next to each other with resin or is the white part meteor material as well?

The white looking stuff is the iron-nickel matrix of the green Olivine crystals. Pallasites are basically fragments of the mantle-core boundary of differentiated asteroids (planetesimals or failed, smashed-up planets). The metal matrix being the stuff the core is made of and the Olivines being the main constituent of the mantle.

@JazzThrowout :looks at image:, :looks at pixel resolution:, :enlarges image:, :opens in new window:, :zooms in:, :enlarges 300%:, :grumbles to self, “still not enough”:, :looks plaintively at Jazz:…
Got closer-in image for us?

Here’s a closeup:

I’m working away at the painting. Here’s my latest effort.

This is 2 images combined. 1 of glitter covered in black paint on the back of a sheet of plastic. 1 of black, red, purple paint with silver glitter mixed in on top of a different sheet of plastic that had the silver glitter and black on its back. I combined them in a free photoshop like program (Gimp). I think it’s my most realistic looking painting image yet.

I did a bit more photo manipulation and:

Any boardgamers in the TMRO-Community?
Here’s a table I made:

wonderful looking table. Finish work on wood and hiding how things are attached has eluded me. My table efforts are either IKEA or work bench type things.

old photo.

Oooh, a recess so your dice don’t go rolling off, very nice.

@FITorion: I happen to quite like the so called “work bench aesthetics”.

@Faulx: Stole the idea from geekchic. (sadly, they’re out of business).

Finally joined the community and became a supporter today. A LOT of creative folks on this thread. My humble TMRO related build:

Had lightbulb idea and just had to sketch it up. Please forgive my bad scribbles…
Its a concept idea regarding the BFR Ship…

The idea is to have the outer skin fold out to create Air drag as the ship lands.

Note that there are some errors in where the “leafs” are attached to the body (should be at the tip not the middle)
And I think the top leafs could be staggered instead of overlapping to create more surface area.
Finally each of the leafs should also be able to unfold broad ways to provide even more surface area.
–____-- instead of just ____

Key features compared to current skydiver BFRS ( BFRSpaceship)

1. Presents up to twice or more surface area during Landing for aerobraking. Also the body is not heated only the leafs.
  2. Provides 360 degree views (instead of 180) once the upper leafs are open.
  3. Provides landing control by each of the 12 leafs folding or unfolding.
  4. The lower section and the inner side of the leafs can have solar panels.
  5. The legs provide much more stability, they are longer and have 6 instead of 3.
  6. The upper leafs can provide more radiation shielding when required.

its all fun from this PlaySpaceEngineer. So what you guys think ?
PS: Sketched on my new toy a Surface Go.

At low speeds, the bottom leaves would produce aerodynamic instability (would tend to flip the craft) unless balanced by the top ones. That creates some scary failure modes. Meanwhile, if the top leaves worked as you wrote (unfolding at the tip), the air stream would tend to drive them toward full openness rather quickly. The forces involved could cause an issue (think of an umbrella inverting in the wind). Getting it to work as intended could be challenging.

At super sonic speeds, the way shock compression works, it’s unlikely the top leaves would even sense the airstream. The bottom leaves would create shock fronts which would drop the air velocity around and behind them to subsonic speeds, thus the top leaves wouldn’t help to slow the craft at high speeds (and probably wouldn’t help stabilize the vessel either). For an example of this, the grid fins on a Falcon 9 (despite being full of holes) will completely block airflow at super sonic speeds because the shock fronts overlap in the holes. Note also that the grid fins are located high on the vessel, to encourage stable flight while landing back end-first.

I guess, in short, the top leaves could make sense, but the bottom leaves are problematic. I wonder if you could run a mesh between them and get a kind of “flying squirrel” flaps for extra surface area and strength.

This is just a concept idea… for sure will need lots of modification…

No not unfolding at the tip but the brace is attached to the tip like the falcon 9 booster’s landing legs.

1. May need 3 leaf level instead of 2? the lowest set of 2 or 3 leaves (engineShield) to cover and protect the engines nozzles until the final retro-burns for landing, The second set would basically be the same and function as landing legs as well as aerobrakes…
  2. The top leaves or bottom leaves can open slightly at smaller angles maybe the top can open first to ensure stability. Maybe all you need is the Top leaves and bottom EngineShield for aerobraking and then only use the leg leaves for landing.

Another option is for the landing legs to be not as wide (ie only half as wide?) and have the top leaves to be slightly longer unfurl to be twice or 3 times as wide(like aeroplanewings when landing?)

Maybe something like this for the legs?
A Flexible Grabber Pickup Tool…

You pull the top and the claw pops out, you release the top, the claw goes back in (and grabs something). Only, for you, instead of grabbing it would deploy the legs.

You could make each wire strap loop out from the hull for extra range and stability on the ground.

P.S.
Notice that the Falcon 9’s legs don’t even pop out until just before landing when the wind load is super low. They’re so light, they’re probably too flimsy to bear up under the turbulence of a fast wind.

We had guests over for Thanksgiving and a phrase brought up by one of my non-space-fan friends was, “ballistic reentry.” Sensing a good conversation starter and having recently built a cross section build of a Soyuz-MS spacecraft, I launched into a session about how Soyuz worked, its history, the ISS and its constant habitation for more than 17 years, etc. Was a fun time and quite interesting how a particular phrase can make it into the minds of the public.

Here’s my build:

That’s beautiful! What wood did you use?

Thanks Duta. It’s walnut. I went with a particular fierce one. Something I probably wouldn’t do again as the clippings were plentiful.

This is amazing! I’d love to have something like this for the DnD group I’m in.

You’re telling me TMROs resident astronomer roleplays something other than Star Trek the Role Playing Game? a.k.a. Space-DnD.
Actually, nobody calls it that except me.

I’ve seen DnD-Tables with an inlaid flat-screen. Don’t think anyone sells them, but they’re actually not that hard to make yourself.