Mars Landing Sites, Exoplanets and 3D Bio Printers - Orbit 11.46

Michael Clark, Sarah Vincent, Jade Kim, Benjamin Higginbotham, Cariann Higginbotham and Jared Head join us for a round table about space geekery! This week we chat about Exoplanets and their tools for discovery, Russia sending a 3D Bio Printer up to space station, Mars 2020 landing site has been chosen and Mars goo is great for your face!

Launch Minutes:

• Long March 3B | Beidou
  • Vega | Mohammed VI-B
  • Long March 2D | Shiyan 6

1:05:55 In response to Jade’s comments on water flow, I found a great animation:
Lakes can pour out pretty fast here on Earth too. The Lake Missoula Ice Dam is a great example. The lake is thought to have drained in a few days to a week in a single massive “glacial lake outburst flood”. It carved canyons and moved massive boulders. This happened as the ice retreated from North America a few tens of thousands of years ago.

The canyons it created:

Re: the exoplanet imaging discussion -

Could JWST’s data output be used for interferometry with large ground-based telescopes, assuming they cover the same frequency range? Or would they have to be linked at runtime - which, given one is a spacecraft, is pretty much impossible?

Just imagine the kind of virtual resolution you could get when combining two ultra-high precision instruments across a distance of (up to) 1.5 million kilometers.

I think they are of different frequency… The JWST looks that the frequencies that cant get through the “ocean” of earth atmosphere.

In response to Jared’s comments about “catching the flu” from Martian microbes: My assumption is that one of two things are possible.
A - Life on Mars is like life on Earth due to long-past cross contamination. So DNA exists cells work the same way. So it will be similar to us. In this case we could have a problem. But only a small probability of one.
B - Life on Mars is totally different. In this case, I would assume we have nothing to worry about because the microbes there wouldn’t know what do do with our biological material.
Here on Earth, it takes many generations of close proximity (usually in very unsanitary conditions) to get a disease to hop from one species to another. Just think of how much harder that would be…and how long it would take when the two species are from different planets.

Just in case… Flu is caused by viruses, not bacteria.

except for RNA-type viruses. Also, the disease can be caused not only by pathogens.
And I am no so sure about B.
The other two things are possible.
C - Just fossils. We have nothing to worry about in that case.
D - no life at all and no traces of life. No worry about “catching the flu”

Clean room class 10 by FED STD 209E can have 10000 or less >=0.1 µm particles per 1m3. And most (known) viruses are from 10 to 300 nm. So even clean room class 1 can’t be totally free from viruses. Sure you can kill most of them but they will stay in the room as an inactive viruses or part of them. Anyway you can find amino acid or peptide chains all around in that room. And if the testing specimen will contain DNA/RNA based life form how to say it’s not ours.
p.s. viruses counts as DNA/RNA based non cellular life form. But there is another opinion viruses are not alive (they are not life form). Our definition what is alive and what isn’t is pretty vague here.

Your comment got featured on Orbit 11.47 today!