Lunar Big Falcon Rocket

The more they refine the BFR the more it looks like a updated space shuttle. Check it out at
First Lunar BFR Mission | SpaceX live announcement on 9.17.18

Can it land vertically with such a large rudder tail?

There are huge thermal matters for a booster vs a vehicle reentering the atmosphere at 17,500 to 25,000 mph, so perhaps the X company is reconsidering vertical landing vs horizontal landing for its BFS. Reentry at such speed and such heat may be problematic for cryogenic fuel.

I don’t see a landing legs at all. But I see the expansions on the wingtips - maybe the landing legs are hidden in them? Perhaps it’s just an early simplified rendering of the new version of the ship does not display the details of the design. There is a direct link to the picture by the way: https://www.spacex.com/sites/spacex/files/bfr1_moon1_nosolar_all_engines.jpg

The landing legs could be the rounded part at the end of the wings, the edge of theses tails look like an extender piston. That could be one of the reason for 3 wings now, from 2 before.
Or, no need for a piston, and the wings go just rear enough to protect the engines.

Is that me or the lover wing seems to be articulated? It definitely seems different! For maintenance on the ground maybe? Wouldn’t that system fragilise the whole wing attachement?

So many questions with just a picture! :wink:

Well i am happy they fixed one of the worries I had mentioned with the stability of the BFR. The leg placements look much more stable and it looks like each of the feet may be variably extended which will be able to cope with uneven ground … so I am relieved…

Also noticed there are no smaller engines in the middle so it could be that they have been able to articulate all 7 engines with equal dexterity for landing purposes. Also the new “ears” may be how it will be picked up from the ground and lifted onto the booster. as it seems that the nose area is shorter now. and it looks to be a bit wider in diameter too… well we will see on Monday …

Perhaps the fins can be used as landing legs … but that would require more reinforcement to the fins. I guess Rocket Ship XM got it right over 60 years ago …

It looks more like Elon is building the space shuttle that should have been built in the first place …

Could this be … Space Force One … ?

Wallace and gromit’s moon rocket !!

No matter what the final version looks like. Will it have folding landing legs or stationary. It will not solve the main problem. Which is landing site. The trouble is the moon or mars soil. Its density, integrity, plainness. You need to build landing site. It’s fine if you plan to go around the moon without landing.
But such descent as depicted in the BFR’s animation will ends with dangerous tilt without built landing site.
The mass of this type of spacecraft is no joke.
It would be very interesting to know how the company plans to deal with it

I will be at the event on Monday; watch this space!!

Nice VAXHeadroom. will be watching.

I vote for “T-4a”. And someone is going to take the job away from George Lucas in the foreseeable future by the way!

I saw that being proposed in a few places… but I dont think it will be the case… would be nice though…

I think more likely all it will do is swivel a little like the the attitude adjustments winglets from the Blue Origin Boosters…

PS: I will take that back… had another closer look at the detailed image and enhanced it a bit. Yes, it sure looks like it does fold !! the front bit though are probably for attitude adjustments like the Blue Origin ones.

A Space Odyssey: Staring SpaceX BFS,Venturestar,and others
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rum0h4TFUM0

So the smaller fins probably rotate… not fold like that…

Stream is live. They just showed a few more rendered pictures and it looks more like the fins fold than rotate.

At 40:45 in the video (t=2445) he specifically says the 3rd fin is “actually just a leg” and not an aerodynamic stabilizer.

So vertical landings are still the plan. The wide spacing will significantly improve its ability to land on uneven grades, so that’s nice.

From the same video at 1:27:55 an approximate amount to build this is 5 billion. Likely to cost more but at least know we know approximation.
And guess who is there at 1:34:55 :smiley: and sounds like a professional engineer…nice :slight_smile: