Looking for developers to help with the chat client

Very sorry, but I really don’t want to expose or post this until OK’ed by the director (Ben/Colten) because I truly do not want to presume any strategy nor wording on TMRO that is not official. I will look for and await a more direct way to deliver this. Once delivered, I am sure there will be questions.
Regards,
Freda

Appreciate the double check. I’m very community centric and am very OK with making the data public. There’s no assumption of anything here, we’ll take a peek and let the community have a voice too! We’re all in this great universe together!

@Bencredible and @Colten45 This is a link to a Framework methodology for planning that has been distilled to it’s raw core, with the hope that it can be re-leveraged and be a benefit to any planning process at TMRO. Some kind of repeatable process like this has proven successful for me in the past. Parts might seem crazy, and parts might seem like common sense. Taken together, the result could be a valuable reference that can be re-leveraged. The goal is to improve the likelihood of a successful software (or any other) deployment.

I first thought of posting this back when this forum thread asked for help developing a new Chat client, and I knew from painful experience that Development/Testing really needs some awareness of Requirements, and that Requirements in turn need to be based on even higher Strategies.

I am always open to critical review, discussion and comments on this. I could possibly provide more.

• PDF

• DOC (MS Word) available on request by Ben/Colten.

The thought is that TMRO directors use a framework like this to run through the steps to progressively create Strategies, Requirements and etc… which in turn will feed the Development and Test steps. The Strategies and Requirements can also be kept in your back pocket to re-leverage for any subsequent initiative.

Freda - reading this has not only helped me understand how to plan projects and directions for TMRO better, but in all projects I’ll take on in the future. Thank you!!

After reading through @Freda’s methodology, I started thinking about Step One and things that might fit into an overall project management strategy. Specifically, I started thinking about personnel structure as it relates to all projects.

I tried to think about roles in a software dev project, and then tried to generalize those roles to create a structure that could be broadly relevant to any project.

If it’s relevant…Yay! If it’s not…tell me.

@Freda I thought you should know that your outline was so incredible, that I’m working on tweaking it a bit to be used for the show as a whole, not just chat. I’ll share that with the community as soon as I have something that is out of my head and on-paper… Then I’ll let the community help me edit and revise it.

@OhNoNotScott I think that’s actually a great start as well. More to the point, it will help us with a loose chain of command and sorta allow us to take the talent set we already have and extend it a bit further (via some additional suggestions from @duta in the Discord room.) I’ll be implementing that too.

I find myself desiring a huge whiteboard. Or two :wink: But I really wanted to reach out and thank you for your great work. This will become a whole new foundation for TMRO and I’m SUPER DUPER excited where this may take us!

Thanks @Bencredible.
Tip: Some Strategies might not be public; for example if you had a Strategy such as “TMRO is positioning itself solely to be acquired in 2020 for enough money for all staff to buy a ride on DearMoon.”, that probably wouldn’t go over well with your Citizens/Patreons. So some organizations keep two lists of Strategies when they do this kind of planning.
Tip: I just re-read my example framework, and notice I might have accidentally let some “example requirements” leak into the “example strategies”. Just try to keep the Strategies generic, meaningful and powerful; you know, visions, guiding principles, etc.
Thought: Let me know if you want the MS Word DOC native file, so you don’t have to re-create section styles and tables, etc.
Yes: As @OhNoNotScott suggests, things go much better with some kind of organized “people” structure focused on the success of the Project. Wait until you have a handle on Requirements, so you know what kinds of people with what kind of skills you need. Scott mentions a Project Coordinator role. In my framework doc, I use the term Project Manager (aka: one throat to choke if/when things hiccup). Either way, that role is the single most critical key to a successful Project outcome.
Balance: Again, some of these concepts are quite happy living within a large organization that delivers large projects. You need to balance this with the reality of what TMRO is. For example either a) at some point a Project might become too large to execute, and you might need to outsource, or b) a project is so trivial that it does not require all this deep-thought and complicated planning.
Ouch: That GDPR requirement seems to be looming larger (with Apple this week suggesting a similar requirement in US), and legal issues might be a barrier to a company deciding to create and deploy its’ own online environment verses just using big-name solutions that are already out there (and who can absorb a GDPR-related lawsuit). I am truly no lawyer, but I sense GDPR is something to think about over a double high-caffeine coffee.
Reality-check: Start. See if any of this helps, doesn’t help, or needs to be refined. Course-corrections will help result in a solid Framework that will become Best Practice for TMRO, to be re-used in the future. Yep, white-boards with lots of erasers also help.

Success is a moving target. You have to CONSTANTLY course-correct in order to reach your goal.

Yes. This is intended to be what is called an “evergreen” process; reviewed and refined periodically (eg: annually). Why? As @duta suggests; the business landscape evolves, company-capabilities evolve, funding evolves, the audience evolves, etc. and the company needs to do course-correction to keep driving the boat.

Not a Dev, Infrastructure Engineer with Google Cloud experience and Devops.
Just putting my hand up, let me know if I can be of any help.

Cheers!