How to launch and land a model Falcon Heavy - Orbit 12.05

Joe Barnard of BPS.space joins us to talk about his work in making model rockets emulate larger, liquid fueled vehicles such as Falcon and Electron. He has created many amazing models and has been working on thrust vector control (TVC) steering of models as well as being able to stage and even land model rockets. This is his story.

How to Build A Rocket - Space Pod 6/23/16

Large Dangerous Rocket Ships 35 - 9.21

Spacevidcast Live - Amateur Rocketeers and Beautiful Space

Awesome Episode. I like it when the subject matter drifts a little from just the big stuff.

I had my share of model rockets as a kid and really enjoyed it. I think it started my path to engineering. I have followed BPS for a while now and really love the whole idea of bringing model rocketry into the 21st century. I think this will bring new life into the hobby.

The slow motion video of his Falcon Heavy Model launching is really cool. You can see the thrust vectoring working and there are a few shots that the model looked a lot like the real thing.

I was not able to watch live until near the end of the live show. Luckily, when I did join, I just slid the YouTube bar to travel back in time to watch bits (BTW, that’s a good feature for late-arriving citizens).

This was a great topic to inspire space! This is not only launching model rockets, but including special engines, arduinos, cameras, software coding, and controls to make the rocket do certain things. And even automatic sensing of abort conditions. TMRO picked a good guest with Joe Barnard. He had a good story to tell, obviously liked talking about the topic, and spoke well. Add all that up, and this episode (with After Dark) really did some good inspiring.

Hey! I see one of your friendly, geeky Community posters :sunglasses: mentioned BPS.space back in December 2018.

Additional (and perhaps equally inspiring) technical geek details, discussion and videos of actual BPS.space launches were shown in After Dark. Can this After Dark be made public, so the full scoop from BSP.space can be available for all?

And… live video from the TMRO control room! A sneak-peek into the secret inner workings of TMRO! This is what makes me put my coffee down to watch.

Congrats on a great episode.

BPS is interesting. He provided a great presentation to the members of NAR in early 2018 at NARCON:

Definitely promising and I hope him great success!

Watch BPS Vector Demonstration on Vimeo: BPS Vector Demonstration on Vimeo