Guest suggestions for TMRO:Science

I have a test call from the habitat next week!! I’m super excited!

Definitely keen to talk alternative energy sources!

Some of the research found a link to Telomeres (which a good friend of mine did research on) so this is super interesting to me. Also, I love sleeping.

Always keen to learn more about the ‘fasting’ trend and what the data says.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions - I’m reaching out to them all, fingers crossed

I’d love to hear about Telomeres too.

I’ve been taking Nicotinamide Riboside for about 3 months now after hearing about it from Bill Faloon at the church for perpetual life

peter attia because nutrition research is corner stone of long term space. By how can someone that swim over 20 miles in ocean not be cool.

jason fang as he has papers coming out soon about fasting

Should get Ben to do a space pod from inside spacex factory. New tech, materials, space suits etc.

I have no idea if she’s interested, but you should try and get Gioia Massa to talk about Veggies.

Would be interested in asking lots of questions regarding plants for Mars…

I’m a big fan of Gioia! She was a reviewer on my manuscript for my Mars plant atmosphere research (which unfortunately didn’t get accepted)

Look for an announcement end of this week on Twitter.

Plant atmosphere research you say? Do tell.

ESA has give scientists at Østfold Univeristy College the task to develop concrete from moon dust. This article is from a Norwegian news outlet, but I’m sure Google translate can give you the gist of is :slight_smile:

Keep up the good show!

I’ll add in

Rhonda Patrick

Catherine Shanahan

both focused on nutrition, longevity and healthy living

Also a big thumbs up for Peter Attia

Just seen this Video seems intresting I wonder if they might make a nice intreview for Science … or even Space as converting CO2 to hydrocarbons is exactly what they say we need to do on Mars and the Moon for future missions.

**Edit

A Qucik search pointed Here

https://iafastro.directory/iac/paper/id/34992/summary/

I reviewed past studies into plant growth and elevated CO2 to see if we could use Mars atmosphere under pressure to fill a greenhouse and grow plants successfully. I concluded it would probably work as long as we supplemented with a little extra pure O2.

Thanks for sharing,

It seems there are quite a few moving data points when it comes to Mars and the make up of its soil.

Perhaps changing the word “plant growth greenhouse” to “germinatation capsule” might reduce implementation costs ?

@MiniStoj Well I dug up my academic credentials and searched for hours but couldn’t get easy access to the full paper. All I got was the abstract. ::shoulders slumped:: I did find like 20 articles I have been wanting to read though so that’s nice. ::perks up::

So seeing as I have no idea what literature you actually looked at… I figured you might like to look at this article, which explores exactly what you were talking about:
Wehkamp, C.A. et al. Radish (Raphanus sativa L. cv. Cherry Bomb II) Growth, Net Carbon Exchange Rate, and Transpiration at Decreased Atmospheric Pressure and / or Oxygen. Gravitational and Space Biology Volume 26 (1). April 2012.

In the study, they grew radishes at various reduced pressures. Partial pressure of CO2 was maintained at 120 Pa, and they then varied pO2 and total pressure. Changes in total pressure had almost no effect, but they got down to 7 kPa pO2 before starting to just barely see some growth loss. When they dropped down to 2 kPa pO2, root dry mass dropped to about 15% of normal, and harvest index (% edible portion) plummeted from ~65% to ~24%.

So from this, we can pretty reasonably expect to be able to have a “growth chamber” with as little as 7% of normal atmospheric pressure, provided that most of that is O2. On the other hand, since people will still need to work inside the chamber, a 21 kPa pO2 environment is probably better.

For water, the max vapor pressure at growth chamber temperatures is about 3-6 kPa. It’s pretty common for chambers to be at 70-100% humidity, so we can expect to see almost maximum pressure from water.

Now I’ve done some research on CO2 toxicity in plants, and apparently it varies pretty widely between species (and even within cultivars of the same species). The cut off I hear most people talk about before symptoms start is usually around 500-1000 Pa (which is about where toxic effects start to occur in humans also). Did you find higher thresholds?

All told, I’d say we can expect about 3 kPa from water vapor, at most 1 kPa from CO2, and the rest should be O2. With the total pressure being either 10-11 kPa or 23 kPa depending on if you want to have people in there for things like pruning and what not. With the right crop (like radishes), you could probably just plant and harvest without any human involvement. Does that align with what you found?

Plant growth in Mars-like atmospheres

I was looking at some recent power generation technology. I would love to hear someone talk about “supercritical co2 turbines”. They sound like they could solve a lot of issues both with power plant emissions and also with increasing generation efficiency.

I would like to hear what the challenges are for development of the technology, and what the state of the industry currently looks like. Since CO2 + water = acid, are there corrosion problems? Super critical fluids tend to act as solvents, is it hard to make gaskets and seals for these things? How can the turbines reduced size affect power plant placement? Will these be able to be placed closer to the point of use, and will that reduce the need for power distribution infrastructure? Is the waste CO2 pure enough to be used in greenhouse settings? Pipelines have been proposed for transporting waste CO2, what kind of issues does pressurized CO2 piping have?

It’s a very interesting subject. I’m just not sure who you should be trying to talk to for an interview.

I’m going to take this amazing conversation into a different thread so we can keep this clean for Guest Suggestions.

I’ve also posted my paper over there, so go check it out!

What about someone that works in Charities to help people with Mobility disabilities / impairment. I know someone that’s the CEO of a charity like that I could hit him up and see if he might want to go on the show.

Could you tell me a little more about the charity and its work. I can see a potential story here but I think we’d focus on the improvements/technology behind the latest mobility tech/prosthesis etc