EMDrive's Future

It seems like the latest testing of the EmDrive showed that the “thrust” is most likely coming from pushing against (or pulling on) Earths magnetic field. I know this means long distant propulsion is out, but could we still develop this tech as a way of station keeping of satellites that are orbiting within the magnetic field?

I know we have a Citizen of TMRO, @VaxHeadroom, who is very acquainted with this. I am hoping he might have some insight.

I admit I was really hoping that the “thrust” was somehow real and caused by some yet unknown physics. I am disappointed, but I hope we can still get something out of this. :slight_smile:

(I hope this topic is ok here, if not we can move it to off-topic.)

While i like the idea, the German results (if corroborated) would mean the em drive moves, because it’s ferro magnetic and within a magnetic field, no thrust is generated, it’s just pulled by the field around it, no matter where you point it.

I was thinking that since it is able to pull or push against the magnetic field, this could be used to keep satellites (that are inside the Earths magnetic field) in position without the use of fuel. Probably not enough to move much or change orbits, but it could be enough to make small adjustments.

I guess I don’t want to admit defeat. :smile:

If we are going to make use of the Earth’s magnetic field then there are more direct ways. Something purpose built to interact with the magnetic field would be way more powerful and look nothing like the EM drive. The interaction with the magnetic field that the EM drive has is more like a side effect of electricity flowing in the device and was not the desired product of the drive.

So… Yes I think a magnetic field station keeping drive would be possible. No I don’t think it would share any thing with the EM drive any more than a microwave shares with an electric oven.

In those tests the drive didn’t push against anything, it was pulled. You couldn’t control the direction. I wish I misunderstood, but according to the reports I read, it was just pulled by earth’s magnetic field, without any control of direction.

The reported thrust of EMDrives is so faint it could just be from infrared radiation.:shushing_face:

Oh well :frowning_face:

I think that propulsion is a major hurdle in us becoming a space faring civilization and was hoping there was some new (unknown) physics that would help us out.

It is getting harder to stay optimistic about our future in space if we are stuck using chemical propulsion.

We aren’t there is Nuclear, ION, and even solar/laser sails as alterative propulsion all currently being develooped. That said an EM drive would be great.

PLEASE people, go research the actual source material!!
From the abstract:
"Our intention is to develop an excellent research infrastructure to test new ideas and measure thrusts and/or artefacts with high confidence to determine if a concept works… "
NOTE: This paper is about the infrastructure and testing apparatus, NOT the actual EMDrive itself!!
What the paper concluded is that their test setup is great! Their EMDrive build? Not so much.
This concept is not dead, far from it.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/325177082_The_SpaceDrive_Project_-_First_Results_on_EMDrive_and_Mach-Effect_Thrusters

Thanks @VAXHeadroom intresting read. Are there any plans to put either of these drives into a real world situation i.e. get them outside Earths magnetic field and fire them up? Seems to me like that might be a way (all be it expensive) to rule out interations once and for all. I like the approach they have taken to mitigate such interferance but at the end of the day any electrical power passed into the drive is going to produce EM fields not sure any shielding could completly get around this issue but i may be wrong.